Treasurer’s House York

Buy a digital painting of the Treasurer's House in York

Click image to enlarge

The name “Treasurer’s House” relates to the building that first stood on the site, which was built for the medieval Treasurers of York Minster. The first Treasurer was appointed in 1091 AD.

This particular image was taken on 18th May 2010 and is a 3 exposure, HDR transformation. It was taken with a Nikon D90 fitted with a Nikon VR 18-200 zoom lens at a focal length of 18mm.

The image size is 4287 x 2831px at a resolution of 300dpi.

Some information from the History of York website:

The Reformation of the English Church in the 1540s brought an end to the job of Treasurer and the house passed into the hands of the Archbishops of York. Thomas Young, Archbishop between 1562 and 1568, and his descendants are responsible for the structure of Treasurer’s House as it is today. The symmetrical front was part of changes made by the Young family in the early 17th century which involved almost entirely rebuilding the house. Treasurer’s House played host to royalty when Sir George Young entertained King James I in 1617.

During the 18th century Treasurer’s House became the town residence of gentry families, lawyers and clergy. The greatest changes made during this period were the division of the building into several residences and the various extensions made. By the end of the 19th century, the house was very decayed and poorly cared for. However, just at the turn of the century Frank Green came to the rescue.

Frank Green was a wealthy collector, and owned Treasurer’s House between 1897 and 1930. He demolished the additions made to the building in the 19th century and restored the house to what he thought was its original shape. He turned Treasurer’s House into a stage for his collection, designing rooms of different periods to display his antique furniture. It was at this time that Treasurer’s House received a second royal visit, in June 1900. Edward VII and Queen Alexandra visited as Prince and Princess of Wales along with their daughter Victoria. It was in their honour that the King’s Room, Queen’s Room and Princess Victoria’s Room were so named.”

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (2 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

Loading...


BUY THIS DIGITAL PAINTING

[wp_cart:Treasurers House York:price:[Size/Style|Large mounted 508 x 406mm £59.99,59.99|Large unmounted 420 x 297mm £42.99,42.99|Medium mounted 406 x 305mm £46.99,46.99|Medium unmounted 297 x 210mm £34.99,34.99]:var1[Image Finish|Matt|Gloss]:end]

All image dimensions are approximate. UK postage and packaging are included, please use the contact form and ask about international shipping costs.

View Cart or Checkout

x Shield Logo
This Site Is Protected By
The Shield →